The Waterville Opera House, built in 1900 as an integral part of City Hall, brought world-renowned vaudeville performers to the city and surrounding communities. After World War II, its splendor dimmed as it was converted to a movie theater, but by the 1970’s, community theatricals once more brought life to the stage.
In 2007, the Waterville Opera House Improvement Association engaged TFH Architects—precursor of Scattergood Design—and a multi-disciplinary team—including Pamela Hawkes at Ann Beha Architects as Preservation Architect—to prepare a Master Plan outlining much-needed upgrades for functionality and safety. In 2012, the glorious, 800-seat Renaissance Revival interior was renewed and relit, and sensitively-scaled additions provide much-needed dressing rooms, set shop and loading dock with freight elevator.
Three years later, the $3 million project continues to earn rave reviews from nationally-known performers and patrons—and sustains the finances of the organization—according to recent articles in the Portland Press Herald and Waterville Morning Sentinel.
Photo by Michael J. Seamans, Waterville Morning Sentinel