The 1801 McLellan House and 1911 Sweat Galleries, original home of the Portland Museum of Art, had been closed to the public for two decades before re-opening in 2002. Pamela Hawkes as Principal for Ann Beha Architects guided the project for more than a decade, from initial master plans to historic research funded by a grant by the Getty Conservation Institute through construction. New mechanical systems and code upgrades were skillfully inserted with minimal impact on the restored historic interiors, which serve as a backdrop for dynamic exhibits exploring regional fine and decoratrive arts of the 19th century.
“To see an institution and a first-rate architect approach this with a first-rate commitment to restoration,… it is a model that we want to hold out to all community leaders and preservation leaders.”
–National Trust for Historic Preservation, Honor Award Citation