Patten Free Library

This 1889 landmark in the city park overlooking the river, has been a treasured resource for its blue-collar community for more than a century.  TFH Architects, in collaboration with Ann Beha Architects, doubled the building’s size and tripled its capacity.  A single circulation spine joins the historic reading room with the new children’s story-telling area, creating a spine that organizes all activities and enables staff to supervise and assist patrons easily.  A fan-shaped nonfiction stack provides intuitive wayfinding, views to the Kennebec River and a symbolic connection to the curvilinear lines of the sailing ships launched there for centuries.